Lydia's Chex Mix
I have strong opinions about some things, and how Chex Mix is made is one of them. It should be baked in the oven, not the microwave. You need to use different amounts of seasonings than the box says, and also you should make your own seasoned salt. I have been making the Chex Mix in my family since I was a teenager. It was always one of my favorite Christmas treats. We would have it once a year, my mom would make two sheet trays of it and we would snack on it from Christmas until New Years. One year I asked to make it and I tweaked the recipe in little ways that made have a more intense flavor, and didn't leave any piece missing the seasoning. I've had friends and family ask why my Chex Mix was so good, here is my top secret recipe!
Lydia's Chex Mix
7 TBSP Miyoko's vegan butter ( you can use regular butter if you don't need it dairy free)
3 TBSP Gluten Free Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp homemade seasoned salt ( recipe at the end )
1/2 tsp onion powder
9 cups gluten free chex ( I like all Rice chex but you can use a mix of Rice and Corn Chex)
1 1/2 cups gluten free pretzels ( my favorite brand is Quinn)
optional ( 1/2 cup of mixed nuts or peanuts)
Gluten Free Seasoned Salt ( Inspired by Iowa Girl Eats)
5 TBSP fine sea salt
1 TBSP paprika
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1) Pre-heat oven to 250 and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
2) Place the vegan butter, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings in a medium sized measuring cup and microwave in 30 second increments until the butter is melted.
3) Pour the Chex cereal, pretzels, and any add-ins on the sheet pan.
4) Stir the butter and seasoning mixture well and pour it over the cereal evenly. Use your hands or a spatula to stir the mixture to make sure it is evenly distributed.
5) Place the sheet pan in the oven. You will bake the mixture for a total of one hour, stirring every fifteen minutes.
Set a timer for every fifteen minutes, remove the pan, stir the mixture, and then place it back in the oven. Repeat until you have reached one hour.
The Chex Mix will keep for 2 weeks in a sealed container on the counter.