Sweet Potato and Chicken Breakfast Patties
The meal I struggle with new ideas for the most is breakfast. I usually eat eggs, oatmeal, or another form of eggs or oatmeal. I was craving something different so I hit my cook books and came across a recipe similar to this one in The Healing Kitchen by Sarah Ballantyne and Alaena Haber. The original recipe calls for some ingredients I can't have, and they are also fried in a skillet instead of baked. I knew I wasn't going to want to fry each individual patty so I set out to come up with a new recipe and method for baking these to have for meals for the week. The result is a tasty hash brown and protein mixture that can be reheated quickly out of the refrigerator or freezer! You can top it with an egg or eat it on its own. I love having some type of protein frozen that I can easily grab for breakfast, or a quick lunch! Re-heating them in the air fryer is my favorite way to serve them, they get extra crispy!
Chicken and Sweet Potato Hashbrowns
Makes 9-12 depending on size
1 pound ground chicken
1 pound shredded sweet potatoes (this is about one large sweet potato)
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder ( you can leave this out if you need to)
1/2 tsp dried marjoram ( sub oregano if you don't have this)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees (if using a convection oven pre-heat to 400 on the convection setting) Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
2) Using a food processor or large grater, shred the sweet potato.
3) In a large bowl combine the sweet potato, ground chicken, spices, and salt. Mix well to combine.
4) Form the mixture into patties of your desired size, place them the parchment lined pans and press flat. I like to make them large so I make nine of them.
5) Spray or brush each patty lightly with olive oil. This will help it to brown.
6) If using a convection setting they need 8 minutes on one side, flip, spray the other side with olive oil, and then cook an additional 8 minutes until they reach an internal temperature of 165.
If not using the convection setting bake at 400 for 10 minutes each side.
* 30 seconds in microwave
* 3 minutes in air fryer at 370 or until warmed through
* First heat for 30 seconds in microwave to warm, then 5-8 minutes in air fryer at 370 or until warmed through and the outside is crispy