I love a chewy cookie, and I love the flavor of almond extract. These cookies combine the two of those loves! These cookies come together quickly with minimal ingredients, and are naturally gluten and dairy free. They are a great choice if you are taking cookies to someone with those dietary restrictions. I hope you love them as much as I do!
Amaretti Cookies (naturally gluten and dairy free)
2 1/2 cups very fine almond flour ( Kirklands brand is great)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 large egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup of powdered sugar
1) Pre-heat oven to 325 and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. These cookies will stick without it as they do not contain oil.
2) In a large bowl whisk the almond flour, sugar and salt and set aside.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer whisk the 3 egg whites on medium high speed for about 1 minute and 30 seconds until soft peaks form. Add the almond extract and beat for another few seconds to combine.
4) Fold the egg whites into the dry ingredients 1/4 of the egg whites at a time until you have a shaggy dough. It will appear sticky but should not be crumbly if mixed well enough.
5) Pour the powdered sugar into a small bowl.
6) Scoop the dough into 1 TBSP size balls and roll each ball in the powdered sugar. Place each cookie about 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
7) Bake the cookies for about 22-25 minutes until the bottoms are slightly browned and the tops are cracked. Rotate the trays halfway through. The cookies will stay in a mound shape and not spread out.
10) Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
*Store in an airtight container for 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months!
Based on the recipe from https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/amaretti-cookie-11933611