Gluten and Dairy Free Chocolate Pastry
I discovered Schar gluten and dairy free puff pastry last Holiday season and I was so excited to experiment with it. Years ago I would make easy appetizers and desserts for family and friends all the time using regular frozen puff pastry. It always made me feel like a pastry chef. I recently saw a post for an easy dessert using puff pastry and knew it would be the perfect ending to our Lord of The Rings Rings of Power viewing party. I needed it to be gluten free so I could enjoy it and I knew there would be a guest at the party with a dairy allergy. I knew the delicious pastry could easily be adapted to meet both of those dietary requirements. The chocolate pastry was so good there was only one small piece left and even the guests who did not need to eat gluten and dairy free went back for seconds and thirds! If you have been craving chocolate croissant this is the next best thing.
Gluten and Diary Free Chocolate Pastry
Recipe for 1 pastry
(you can double and use both pastries in the box)
Schar brand gluten and dairy free puff pastry defrosted
Dairy free chocolate bar or Enjoy life chocolate chunks
1 egg for egg wash
1 tbsp almond or coconut milk for egg wash
1 tsp sugar for dusting
extra chocolate for garnish
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 and place a sheet of parchment paper on a sheet pan.
2) Carefully roll out the puff pastry on the parchment paper. Place the chocolate bar or an even layer of chocolate chunks (about the size and shape of of a chocolate bar) in the middle of the puff pastry.
3) Cut the corners off the top and bottom of the puff pastry and cut the long sides into strips. See picture below for example.
4) Fold the strips of pastry over each other overlapping over the chocolate.
5) In a small dish beat the egg and almond milk. Using a pastry brush apply the egg wash over the top of the pastry.
6) Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is a golden brown color and crispy.
7) Remove from oven and sprinkle on the tsp of sugar. When the pastry has cooled for at least 10 minutes use a microplane to shave chocolate over the top.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap at room temperature. It is best served the day it is made.
Recipe inspired by
Post a Comment